[Catalyst] Sub-classing Application

Matthias Dietrich mdietrich at cpan.org
Sun Dec 20 23:05:47 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'd like to catch up this slightly old topic...

I've build a small app for a customer and want to pull out some sections to build a small CMS I can use in several upcoming apps.  I don't want to copy-paste everything everytime an app comes up or update all instances.  So it would be very nice to teach an arbitrary Catalyst app to glue everything from another app (controllers, models *and* views (note: html and static files, too!)) into the arbitrary app.

There were several ideas in the past on this list to "featurize" apps, like the solution CatalystX::Featurizer/CatalystX::Features posted by Rodrigo.  The problem with this solution is: features cannot "just" be released to CPAN and used by other persons without requiring them to change their Catalyst app heavily.  What I'm thinking of is something like "use base/parent" with specifying an action where the external Catalyst app is connected.

Are there some efforts somewhere to make this possible?  Or is this already possible yet?

Regards,
  Matthias

--
rainboxx Software Engineering
Matthias Dietrich, Freelancer

rainboxx                  |  Mobil: +49 (0) 151 / 50 60 78 64
Tölzer Str. 19            |  Tel.:  +49 (0) 711 / 12 89 09 80
70372 Stuttgart           |  WWW :  http://www.rainboxx.de

XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html