[Catalyst] Accessing $self in a plugin?

Andrew Rodland andrew at cleverdomain.org
Wed Dec 23 09:57:09 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 23 December 2009 03:40:37 am Octavian Râşniţă wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Catalyst::Controller::HTML::FormFu but in some actions I don't want
>  to use the FormConfig attribute because it would automaticly generate and
>  process a form, which takes much time. I want to do that only if the
>  already generated template and data was not found in the cache.
> [...]

> > First, is this correct? (or it might appear some issues). I know that the
> plugins are not recommended, but it is not a Catalyst plugin for public
>  use, but only one for my app.

Maybe you should extend C::C::HTML::FormFu to have the caching behavior you
want, and then just use *that* as a controller base class?

> And if it is ok, is it possible to get $self in the plugin in order to do
> $self->form?
>
> Or I will need to send it explicitly using:
>
> $ff($self, 'path/to/config_file');

When running an action, the '$self' is the Controller. Outside of the action,
you can get the controller for the dispatched action with $c->controller() (no
argument).

Andrew