[Catalyst] DBIx makes Catalyst startup painfully slow

Neo [GC] neo at gothic-chat.de
Tue Feb 10 17:08:31 GMT 2009

Ok I've tried it (base class with __PACKAGE__->load_components()) and
after some fiddling around, I learned that it's not good to save the
file in MyApp/lib/MyDB/. ;)

This speeded up my app start from 12 seconds to 8 seconds, what is much
more acceptable. Considered that 4 seconds are the app itself, the model

I'm afraid this is all I can get out of it, as I don't have any fancy
load_classes-stuff or anything in my models, just definitions like
table(), add_columns(), has_many(), belongs_to() aso.
If someone knows further tweaking, please be free and post it! :)

Btw: My main schema constists of 148 tables with a rather complex
layout. Every foreign key constraint is included.

I wonder what magic DBIx does in the remaining 4 seconds... In another
project - written in PHP - I have models with similar functionality
created by a self-written class, which is executed at every request and
takes about 0.05 seconds on the same machine...

Greets and regards,
Thomas Weber