[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Sun Feb 15 02:57:55 GMT 2009

Catalyst Fans,

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, David Steiner wrote:

> i added my comments to the article, suggesting that we step up on the
> documentation and marketing! we need to give the layperson a easier ride in
> starting out with catalyst. and that requires more tutorials/screencasts,
> better official documentation, and more books being written. tell me what you
> people think of the article and how we can get catalyst more used and known.

As a newbie I can certainly agree that all of the above suggestions
regarding documentation/books/tutorials/screencasts would be good things.
I have a couple of sites I'm considering switching to Catalyst, one of
which is currently Django based and still running running version 0.97.
I haven't really been keeping up with Django lately and have hardly looked
at the 1.x branch yet.  I keep trying to develop a fondness for Python,
but it hasn't happened yet.  But, a recent Django documentation discovery
has me considering trying harder to love Python.  A couple of days ago I
discovered that with the documentation sources included in the Django
source tarball one can generate documentation in a variety of formats,
including pdf.  Projects with pdf documentation always score extra points
with me.  It would be better if the pdf manual was available on the Django
site, but being able to generate it from sources is still a plus in
Django's favor.  Even if viewing on screen, I like documentation that at
least looks like a book.  And, I frequently print out bits of
documentation to read in bed.  I generated the available pdf Django docs
and ended up with a 748 page manual!!!  And, from a quick search on Amazon
it appears half a dozen up-to-date Django books have come out in the last
few months.  I'm impressed with the available Django docs.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX