[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 15 12:44:31 GMT 2009

2009/2/15 Dan Dascalescu <ddascalescu+catalyst at gmail.com>:

> I think I can agree with that. What I'm saying is that there's simply
> too much useless choice. Random example:
>
> Data::Dumper
> vs.
> Data::Dump.

I imagine there is some kudos in getting a module on CPAN hence there
is a lot of overlap. Rather that developers extending or maintaining
existing module, there may be a number of reasons for starting from
scratch, original maintainer has moved on, new libraries become
available, or they simply did not like the way the first worked.

In this case Dumper is a core module which opens another issue, on
what basis do you decide if a module should be core at the expense of
another or worse still, have 2 modules that achieve the sames ends
which would be taking TIMTOWTDI to the extreme.
Dp.