[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 21:27:46 GMT 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Ashley <apv at sedition.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Octavian Râsnita wrote:
>>
>> "The list of CPAN modules you shouldn't use because they are not good:"

I've once tried to start a discussion at PerlMonks about that:
http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=515728

> Everyone should consider writing more reviews on the CPAN reviews site too.
> It's directly connected with them. It wouldn't carry the same sort of
> "authority" as a formal list from a group but I make my choices of
> what to at least try first based on reviews somewhat often.
>
> See also:
> http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?recommended_cpan_modules

To add  to this - I've also started a page for comparing Form
Processing modules at this same p5p wiki:

http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?form_processing

I've tried to start from the little, well designed tasks - and later
go to the bigger more difficult fields like comparint full web
frameworks, but sure enough there is also a web framework page at the
p5p wiki:

http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?web_frameworks

But there is one even more important point that I would like to make -
I think it is time that we all start writing reviews.  It is not an
easy task - and only with practice we'll learn how to do it right, how
to do it so that the whole community will benefit instead of starting
a fight.  I personally find it very difficult to write a good critique
without hurting the authors feelings, but it also goes the other way -
if we have more critical reviews the authors (and thats all of us
n'est ce pas?) the authors will learn to treat them as tips how to
improve their software rather as something attacking them.

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/