[Catalyst] Catalyst needing LOTS of RAM

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Tue Feb 17 16:02:18 GMT 2009

Ignoring the rest of your mail which J has given a nice reply to..

Neo [GC] wrote:
> The problem is, we use multiple instances of the application. So every
> customer has his own catalyst instance with own database and - of
> course - own fastcgi-process. Currently we are running it on a machine
> with 16GB of RAM and will soon get to the physical and budgetary limits.
> Is Catalyst just not intended for this kind of use (and more like "one
> server, one site") or is there some black magic we just haven't found
> yet?
Why are you doing it this way round?

I.e. Why can't one application instance connect to each per-customer
database as needed? (Using Component::InstancePerContext or something
similar).

The main blocker I can think of here being versioning (as all customers
on the same app instance will be running the same version) and this can
be a management hassle if you want to upgrade some customer but not
others. However I don't see how it's any bigger hassle than having each
customer running a different version of the software in a different
instance...

Cheers
t0m