[Catalyst] RFC: New to Catalyst questions

David Steiner tw03d034 at technikum-wien.at
Tue Feb 17 19:46:58 GMT 2009

> So all this 'too many choices' talk has got me thinking.  I'd like to
> put together some more web-available information for those
> transitioning to catalyst from other methods.
>
> To that end I'm soliciting your thoughts on things that you found
> particularly hard to get a grip on when you started using catalyst.
> (or that you are currently having trouble with)
>
> My intent is to pick the ones that are needed most and write them up
> (or sponsor).
>
> My working list is as follows (in no particular order.)
>
> 1) 'Getting' DBIx::Class (starting from a straight SQL-users point of
> view)

Areas you could focus on:
- Basic Form handling, implemented with a specific module: formfu, rose, etc..
- Possibly: Form handling with AJAX
- CRUD operations with multiple tables
- Building your own "fat" model API, to put as much logic into your model and
then use this API in your controllers.

> 2) Basic Cat toolkit - the basic pieces you will want to produce your
> average web app.

Deployment with FastCGI
Putting dependencies in your Makefile.pl and how to install it on another box.

> 3) Walkthrough of creation of a simple app end to end.

Yes please, a full example tutorial is just what we need!

But what kind of example are you planning to do? How about you cover CRUD, to
build something like... "yet another Blog"? Have a couple of tables with
relationships like author, story, tags, categories, comments... link them up
with dbix::class, use formfu for the forms, and to make it interesting: add
some ajax on the forms to validate the input, without reloading the page.
keep the example simple, yet functional, so that others can build on it and
extend it.

I'd be interested in writing some parts of a tutorial like this. Let me know
if you need some help writing documentation.