[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

bill hauck wbhauck at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 03:59:48 GMT 2009

My experience ...

I'm trying to put together a project to rewrite a job tracking database currently running in FileMaker.  The functionality and scope of the job tracking system has changed so instead of throwing more money in a proprietary, closed system that requires a costly application on each desktop I'm suggesting writing it as a web application with Perl & Catalyst.  The only problem is that I've been told we would have to use Java & Struts since it's our "corporate standard" for web applications.  Perl, ironically, is used in quite a few places in the company, mainly in utility scripts.  However, since we don't have anyone whose job title is "Perl developer" we can't use it for web applications.

Regards,

bill