[Catalyst] RFC: New to Catalyst questions

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 15:57:29 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Trevor Phillips
<trevor.phillips at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Jay Kuri <jayk at ion0.com> wrote:
>>
>> My working list is as follows (in no particular order.)
>>
>> 1) 'Getting' DBIx::Class (starting from a straight SQL-users point of
>> view)
>
> I'm new to Catalyst, having started to look into it a few months back
> (and now developing several apps in it). The auto-schema stuff on
> DBIx::Class was great. All the has_many & many_to_many it took a while
> to wrap my brain around, and I'm still a bit fuzzy on some of it, but
> referring back to the docs, I can figure it out.
>
> Trying to do a moderately complex SQL query in DBIx::Class is a
> nightmare! Sometimes I wish I could just write out the SQL myself -
> even if it's chunked up into fields, condition, join, etc...

This is called a learning curve :)  When you first started to learn
SQL, you wrote very simple queries and worked your way up.

I've been using DBIC for a few years, and now I have resultset methods
that can be chained so I can filter and refine queries in ways I would
never even expect.  Sure, sometimes I get frustrated because I can
write the SQL but can't quite sort out how to do it in DBIC but I can
at least patch DBIC!

-J