RFC local::lib + CPAN shell support in CatalystX::Starter (was: Re: [Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development)

Matt Pitts mpitts at a3its.com
Thu Feb 19 18:27:36 GMT 2009

All this talk about Perl/Catalyst/CPAN pains, has got me thinking...

Anybody like the idea of having a local::lib "bootstrap" option to
CatalystX::Starter and possible integration of a script that would
launch a CPAN shell for installing into the local::lib folder?

Or, maybe a separate module Catalyst::Starter::LocalLib?

The idea would be to help folks bootstrap Cat apps and get all the deps
inside the app folder right from the start for easier deployment. Of
course it won't eliminate the need for a shell, but it's still an
improvement.

I could probably put together a patch if I can get some "best practice"
ideas.

v/r
-matt pitts