[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

Kirby Krueger kirbykr at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 19 20:08:51 GMT 2009

> Maybe perl6 will provide that "common denominator" without sacrificing
> the low-level goodies.

I've followed the perl6 development some, and the approach is a little
different.

Unlike now, there's not going to be a 'blessed' set of source code
that is a particular perl version.

Instead, perl versions are described by a test suite.  If it passes
the test suite, it's perl 6.  Whether it's written in C, Haskell,
Lisp, or whatever.  It's a different way of looking at things, and far
be it from me to predict if it will work.

That's what's up with the various perl 6 projects right now, like
Rakudo and Pugs.  They're sharing the 'spec' test suite and jointly
developing the definition of what is Perl 6, but implementing at a
different rate.

Rakudo continues to make progress (that's the one I'm betting on
crossing the finish line), with more big things working than not, but
like any massive software project, it takes a while to knock off the
last 20% of a project.  Here's the birds-eye view:
http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl6/index.cgi?rakudo_feature_status

You can probably write useful projects in Rakudo Perl 6 today, but of
course it'd be crazy to use it for professional development at this
point.

-- Kirby