[Catalyst] Templating languages (was RFC: The paradox of choice in web development)

Byron Young Byron.Young at riverbed.com
Thu Feb 19 22:29:41 GMT 2009

Jonathan Rockway wrote on 2009-02-19:
> * On Wed, Feb 18 2009, Dermot wrote:
>> Yes there is, at first glance, a lot of choice but is there. I would
>> say TT and Mason are the only realistic choices (for HTML).
>
> If by "realistic" you mean "unmaintainable for both designers and
> developers", then yes, you've described Mason and TT.
>
> The only qualities that Mason and TT have over other options is that
> they have been around for a while.

Jonathan,

Can I ask - what are the limitations with Mason (and TT) in your opinion?  I have been using it as the templating language for my Cat app (seemed better than TT because I could exclude having to learn a new language for the templates - I can just keep writing perl code).  It's been working well for me, in part because I've been striving to keep the template files short and organized.

What are some templating languages (either existing, in progress, or theoretical) that overcome the limitations you perceive with TT and Mason?

-Byron