[Catalyst] Maybe there is a need for some speedups of 'config' method ?

Oleg Pronin syber.rus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 00:43:47 GMT 2009

Hello. Catalyst is the best MVC ever. Thanks for doing your work guys!

I use Catalyst in extremely loaded projects (currently 60.000.000 pageloads
/ day).
Thereforce i'm perfomance paranoid man.

One of 'black stones' is the ->config method. It has dramatically slow
perfomance at
config_method:  1 wallclock secs ( 1.06 usr +  0.00 sys =3D  1.06 CPU) @
3808.94/s (n=3D4047)

it has 2 workarounds:
1) use 'state' feature of perl 5.10

sub my_action {
    state $cfg =3D $c->config;
}

2) create inherited accessor
   MyApp->mk_group_accessors(inherited =3D> qw/cfg/);
   sub finalize_setup {
        $class->cfg($class->config);
   }

cfg_accessor:  2 wallclock secs ( 1.03 usr +  0.00 sys =3D  1.03 CPU) @
237252.85/s (n=3D244667)
config_method:  1 wallclock secs ( 1.06 usr +  0.00 sys =3D  1.06 CPU) @
3808.94/s (n=3D4047)

It would be VERY GREAT if we somehow make ->config works a hundred times
faster because everybody use
->config without any suspicions on its speed.