[Catalyst] Maybe there is a need for some speedups of 'config' method ?

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Mon Feb 23 18:54:36 GMT 2009

* On Mon, Feb 23 2009, Jason Gottshall wrote:
> Oleg Pronin wrote:
>>   I use many actions that take params from config in runtime, for example
>>   sub pay_for_vip : Private {
>>        my $price = $c->cfg->{vip}{price};
>>   }
>
> As I understand it, this is NOT the way config is intended to
> work. All the config for your component (controller in this case) is
> passed to the constructor at setup time; all you need to do is make
> accessors for whatever you want access to:
>
>   __PACKAGE__->mk_accessors(qw/vip/);
>
>   sub pay_for_vip : Private {
>       my $price = $self->vip->{price};
>   }

Yes, exactly.

This is another case of the all-too-frequent "change Catalyst so that I
won't have to change any code in my poorly-implemented app".

I don't think the patch will be harmful, though, so if there is one we
might as well apply it.  But it's a lot easier to not misuse config than
it is to patch Catalyst to make the misuse faster.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway