[Catalyst] Catalyst on Windows: fork issues

Stefan Washietl wash at paperpile.org
Thu Feb 26 16:42:28 GMT 2009

I'm using Catalyst for building an application that can be run as
web-application and as desktop application under linux/OSX and Windows.

I'm using  Strawberry Perl for Windows and in principle everthing works
fine. I can run a basic application without problems. However, I need a
way to have several asyncronous processes. Under Linux that is no
problem at all, I can use --fork with HTTP::Engine, or I can use
HTTP::Engine::Prefork, or I use fastcgi together with some webserver
like lighttpd.

However, none of the above options works under Windows. If I use --fork
with HTTP::Engine or HTTP::Engine::Prefork the strawberry Perl
executable crashes completely without any useful error message.

I tried to run it as fastcgi but the FCGI::ProcManager which is needed
does not work under Windows either. I also tried to find a lighttpd
config to run my app as a "static-mode" fastcgi which works nicely under
Linux but gives only obscure error messages in Windows.

Has anybody run a catalyst application under Windows with fork
functionality or can give advice on a fastcgi configuration with
lighttpd or any other lightweight server?

Thanks,
Stefan