[Catalyst] (OT) Navigation parameters in session

Sebastian Willert willert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:33:12 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 09:06 -0800, J. Shirley wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         Here at work we have this rule that the page urls should not
>         contain
>         any parameters (think page number, sorting order etc) - but
>         that
>         everything should be hidden in the session.  I think I can
>         have some
>         fighting chance to counter that trend if I feed the bosses
>         with some
>         authoritative enough documents.  Do you guys know something
>         fitting?
>         Or maybe it is me who is mistaken - and this is a great idea
>         indeed?
>
>         --
>         Zbigniew Lukasiak
>         http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/
>         http://perlalchemy.blogspot.com/
>

> How do you go about sending a link to the 3rd or 4th page of a result
> set (or bookmarking)?  General principles seem that a GET request
> should show these results, and you should be able to reproduce the
> page without previous requests.

.. and you are totally screwed if your users decide to open a link
within your app in a new tab or window and you depend on persistent
navigational parameters. This includes AJAX requests. Arguing that you
lose the potential for page-specific AJAX requests (replace this term
with Web.two.dot.oh.ishness depending on your bosses hair style) should
get you a long way in most organizations.

Cheers,
  Sebastian