[Catalyst] Re: Production session issue - commercial support inquiry?

Wade Stuart wbs at grepit.net
Fri Jan 9 21:19:14 GMT 2009

Sorry,
   Wanted to clarify a few things.  I realized there may be a few cryptonuts
on this list and I want to avoid a flame.  The "session_hash_seed" is
actually not a seed generator -- but a plaintext generator.  Below, I am
talking about collisions of the plaintext and therefore the digest -- not
digest collsions on unique plaintexts.  Given that the default is:

sub session_hash_seed {
    my $c =3D shift;

    return join( "", ++$counter, time, rand, $$, {}, overload::StrVal($c),
);
}

and the generator is

sub generate_session_id {
    my $c =3D shift;

    my $digest =3D $c->_find_digest();
    $digest->add( $c->session_hash_seed() );  #note the "seed" is actually
plaintext;
    return $digest->hexdigest;
}

and that the OP is running on a prefork system,  most of the join on the
seed above can theoretically overlap on a high hit, fast cycled/forked
system -- resulting in potential overlaps of plaintext and therefore session
id/digest.   Depending on how many children and the fork depth (runs per
fork) this could situation be exacerbated.

-- =

Thanks!

Wade Stuart

Phone:  917-363-6164