[Catalyst] Attention Australian Catalystarati (or anyone else with an interest in internet activism)

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 02:17:47 GMT 2009

On 13/01/2009, at 12:17 PM, Gavin Carr wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:16:46PM +1100, Kieren Diment wrote:
>> Open Australia (http://openaustralia.org) are trying to digitise the
>> parliamentary register of members interest to improve transparrency
>> in the
>> federal parliament.    The register at the moment is only available
>> in the
>> basement of the federal parliament in a locked filing cabinet in a
>> disused
>> toilet behind a sign which says beware of the tiger ... you get the
>> idea.
>>
>> One of our ilk has kindly started rigging up a prototype which is
>> available
>> at github from http://github.com/TJC/openaustralia-rmidet/tree/master
>>
>> If you're an Australian Catalyst coder with a few tuits, or of
>> you're not
>> Australian, but you want to get some practical experience with
>> crowdsourcing document transcription, please fork the git
>> repository and
>> have a play.
>
> Are you looking for contributors, Kieren, or just for general
> feedback? If
> the former, is there a TODO list somewhere, or a dev mailing list or
> something people can join?

Unfortunately I'm pretty low on tuits for a couple of months, but I'd
love to see this succeed - the openaustralia is pretty high visibility
in Australia, and I'd like to see more perl and catalyst programmers
doing interesting stuff in this space.  As far as I can see the
problem that needs to be solved here is how to efficiently provide
crowdsourced document transcription.  Toby's got a prototype that does
document display, next up I guess is getting it transcribed.