[Catalyst] how to confirm before deleting

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 06:33:09 GMT 2009

From: "Richard Siddall" <richard.siddall at elirion.net>
> Kieren Diment wrote:
>> Yeah, 98% of your browsers have javascript enabled and a big chunk of
>> the remainder are bots ...
>>
>> On the other hand you might want a non-javascript undo option at the
>> other end if you go that route.
>>

> Duh, I should know this, but do screen readers support JavaScript?

It depends on what the JS script does. If it draws a menu for example, it won't be accessible, but if it just hides/shows a div with menu elements, it would be accessible in some cases, but probably not for all the screen readers.
For just showing a confirmation window, JS is accessible for the screen readers.

The most annoying thing however is to use links that use JS code in the href attribute instead of associate it with the events like onClick.
This is because when the user makes a shift+click or shift+enter on a link in order to open the new page in a new window, it just displays an error because the browser can't access an url like
javascript:DoPostBack()

It is also very annoying to need to open a link like "#" or "".

I think that if the user presses shift+enter, he knows that this will open the page in a new window, so the href attribute should contain the full URL to the targeted page.
Of course, if the URL should change something on the server, that page that opens directly (without JS) should contain a form that asks for a confirmation.

Octavian