[Catalyst] Re: Production session issue - commercial supportinquiry?

Matt Pitts mpitts at a3its.com
Tue Jan 27 03:45:43 GMT 2009

So, would something like the following prevent caches from poisoning cookie headers...?

$c->req->header('Vary' => 'set-cookie');

Or would you set against the request header...?

$c->req->header('Vary' => 'cookie');

> Note that from both an HTTP and a web architecture point of view
> it is still better to make sure that every resource has a
> separate URI of its own. Ie. don’t put the shopping cart under
> `/cart` and then use the auth info to decide whose user’s cart to
> actually show.
>
> Instead, make it something like `/user/711/cart/7` (or something
> else that involves an identifier for the cart – the actual
> structure depends on a number of considerations) and merely use
> the auth info to check whether the logged-in user is allowed to
> look at that cart. That way, cache poisoning problems like this
> one won’t even possibly happen.
>
> Plus, having separate URIs for separate “bags of data” gives you
> the basis for all sorts of useful features, like letting people
> make their carts public and sending someone else the link, or
> stuff like that. URIs are cheap, there is no reason to be stingy.
> Engineer for serendipity.

Now, this I like! I was definitely suffering from close-mindedness on the cart design and would have never even thought of treating a Cart just like any other object your CRUDing and give it REST-like URLs.

Thanks for the suggestions,

-matt pitts