[Catalyst] PostgreSQL 8.4 released

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Wed Jul 1 19:57:13 GMT 2009

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Thought I would let you know this little wonderful tidbit for the day.
> PostgreSQL 8.4 has been released. You can check out the release here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1108

That's great news.  Postgres 8.4 introduces some features that I consider very
valuable to have, and that makes possible some work that would otherwise be
quite difficult.  For examples, common table expressions or named subqueries
("WITH"), with recursion.  This lets you apply to non-trivial database queries
what are good practices in programming in general, such as factoring out
repeated portions of a query into named subqueries so you only have to write
that part once.  And the recursion which basically is predicated in the prior
ability.  That's one of the things I appreciate the most. -- Darren Duncan