[Catalyst] how to implement Transactions (over different db tables) in a Catalyst project

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Mon Jul 6 08:18:47 GMT 2009

On 6 Jul 2009, at 06:30, kakimoto at tpg.com.au wrote:

> In the past, when I had to work with just DBI, I would manually
> start a
> transaction and commit it at the end if no exceptions occur. In
>  the case of the latter, I will call a rollback.

This is fairly easy to get wrong - txn_do forces you to have a block
which comprises the transaction scope, or your code won't compile.

It will start a transaction at the start of the block, and commit it
at the end if an exception hasn't been encountered during the
transaction

>  How do I do it here in Catalyst/DbiX::Class land?
> I tried to read up the
> http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/DBIx-Class/DBIx/Class/
> Storage.html#txn_do
> doc but I can't see how the example can apply to Catalyst.
>
> It says, "$schema->txn_do($coderef)" to get the schema but in
> catalyst,
> we access the
> database tables directly. For example,

$c->model('myAppDB') gets the schema

> I'm a bit confused and have looked in a few places. Can anyone please
> educate me?

$c->model('myAppDB')->txn_do( sub {
     my $rs = $c->model('myAppDB::Table')->search(..);
     # Etc etc
     die("Rollback") if $foo; # Exceptions cause rollback
    # Etc etc
    # If you get here, to the end, transaction is committed for you.
});

Can you please supply a doc patch for one or two of the places you
looked to find this information which will explain it more clearly
for the next person?

Cheers
t0m