[Catalyst] Themes, skins, templates and componentized UI?

Gunnar Strand gunnarstrand at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 19:55:27 GMT 2009

Hi,

I am a little new in the web design area. I'm trying to design an
application where the "view" part must be simple to replace by whomever
installs it, with elements of their own design. This would work
comparable to "themes" or "skins". I've done some googling, but I
haven't got any obvious hits on this. The closest I _think_ is
"CatalystX::Usul", but I haven't really understood if that's what I'm
looking for :-)

Also, I would also want the person installing the application to be able
to restructure the visual parts using "components", where a component
could for instance be a "result ticker", "main menu", "member table" or
such. Perhaps in the way that Joomla does, but the components will be
application specific. It's much a matter of deciding what components are
present in which views and where.

I imagine, for instance, a collection of widgets (button,
drop-down-list, text field etc) which are reused in the TT templates. A
component would then use these widgets as building blocks, populating
them using data from the stash. A "view" (webpage) would be a template
including one or more of these components. A theme could then override
any widgets of choice to change the look-and-feel of the whole
application instantly.

Am I approaching this from the right direction and does anyone know if
there exists a framework similar to this to use with Catalyst?

Or should I perhaps go barking up the TT tree? ;-)

KR,
Gunnar