[Catalyst] FormFu edit form problem

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Mon Jun 1 02:25:06 GMT 2009

Moritz Onken wrote:

> Am 29.05.2009 um 07:43 schrieb Toby Corkindale:
>
>> Moritz Onken wrote:
>>> Do you run the latest version of DBIC?
>>
>> I was running on 0.08012, however I have updated to 0.08103 and still
>> have the same problem.
>>
>> -Toby
>
> The problem is that there is no good way to decide whether a given
> relationship is a has_one or
> belongs_to relationship. at least this is what DBIC people say.
>
> SO if you set is_foreign_key_constraint to 0, FormFu assumes that it is
> a has_one relationship
> and not a belongs_to relationship.
>
> Right now I have no idea how to fix it!

Ah, oh well, thanks for explaining the problem at least.

I'm rather regretting using FormFu on my current project by now; it
looks like I've rather wasted my time. I might be able to get around
this, and the other show-stopper bug[1], by building a custom DBIC
pseudo-resultset that aggregates several resultsets into one to avoid
the problems FormFu has with relationships.. but I don't like increasing
the complexity of my application, just so that I can use a module which
was supposed to *reduce* the complexity! :)

I feel like FormFu would be great for doing simple forms, if you don't
mind the lack of useful documentation, but it seems very.. fragile..
once you start trying to use the more complicated use-cases that the
documentation suggests it should handle.
I say "fragile", because I think that FormFu does hold it together if
you obey all the caveats; however there's just no way for a new user to
know what all those caveats are in advance.

ta,
Toby

[1: Repeated nested_name blocks ignore every instance except the first]