[Catalyst] Serving "static" content from DB

Octavian Râsnita orasnita at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 13:34:53 GMT 2009

From: "John Romkey" <romkey at apocalypse.org>
> I agree whole-heartedly.
>
> There are very few drawbacks to serving directly from the filesystem
> (only one I can think of, which has to do with access control to the
> content),

Sometimes the static content shouldn't be accessible at a permanent URL for
security reasons.

Although it wouldn't be portable, I think it could be helpful to be able to
create a directory with the public content outside of the web space, and
when an authorized user requests a certain file, the application creates a
random link file to the wanted file, and place that link in the public web
space, then redirect to the URL for that link file.

The problem is that this link file should be deleted after the user finished
downloading the file, and I don't know if this is possible, because the user
accesses the file directly, not by using the application.

It would be nice to have a trigger that deletes the static file (link to
that file) after it was downloaded.

Octavian