[Catalyst] RFC: new helper api

Devin Austin devin.austin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 01:11:46 GMT 2009

ancesc.roma%2Bcatalyst at gmail.com>
> >:
> > 1) It should be possible to create an application with catalyst version=
> > and then run the catalyst helper again on catalyst version < X  (assumi=
ng
> it
> > doesn't use any feature of the newer version). Right now if an
> application
> > has been created with Catalyst 5.8, running it with 5.7 is not just a
> matter
> > of changing the line "use Catalyst::Runtime 5.80;"
>
> This would mean that we could never use new features from newer
> Runtime distributions in newer skeletons. That seems like a
> restriction that would be counter-productive to me. If you want to
> develop to target older Runtimes than the current one, I suggest using
> matching -Devel helpers.
>
> Marcus

> Searchable archive:

Yea, we'd end up having to do a lot of backcompat checking to see what
version we need to dish up, if it's not going to be the current one.  That,
imho, would be very counterproductive as Marcus stated and would increase
the time it takes us to get this finished many fold.
-- =

Devin Austin
http://www.codedright.net
http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?326568/hosting.html - Host with DreamHost!