[Catalyst] Best practice: How to build app parts reusable?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Jun 8 18:55:44 GMT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 06:06:48PM +0200, Matthias Dietrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in one of my Catalyst apps I'm building application parts that I want
> to reuse in other Catalyst apps where possible.  What's the best
> practice to do that?  I mean the complete parts from controller, to
> model, DBIC schema classes and templates.
>
> Let's assume one part is a guestbook (no, it's not but it's a funny
> example ;)).  The integration of the controller class is very easy.  I
> just would build a new controller inside the app which uses the
> guestbook controller as base class and sets the correct namespace,
> where the guestbook should appear.  A similar procedure would get me
> the model and schemes into my app, but it requires a wrapper class for
> each class the guestbook brings with.  And the templates?  The only
> way I know of is to copy and paste them into the 'root' folder of the
> app.
>
> There has to be a better way.  But which?

Just have your controller base class set:

$c->stash(additional_template_paths => $self->template_paths);

in a begin or auto or whatever action.

See Catalyst::Plugin::AutoCRUD for injecting extra components into the
various areas during application setup.

--
        Matt S Trout         Catalyst and DBIx::Class consultancy with a clue
     Technical Director      and a commit bit: http://shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/