[Catalyst] Best practice: How to build app parts reusable?

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Tue Jun 9 20:39:52 GMT 2009

On 9 Jun 2009, at 04:29, Robert Krimen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Matt S Trout <dbix-
> class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
>
> See Catalyst::Plugin::AutoCRUD for injecting extra components into the
> various areas during application setup.
>
> I had this problem last week, and released a solution today:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?CatalystX::InjectComponent
>
> Based of off the ::AutoCRUD code

This is neat, but in no way taking advantage of the new Moose code.

I have some code in the CatalystX::DynamicComponent namespace meant
to solve this problem:

http://github.com/bobtfish/catalyst-dynamicappdemo/tree/master
http://search.cpan.org/dist/CatalystX-DynamicComponent/

CatalystX::DynamicComponent (which solves around the same problem
you're solving) is fairly solid at this point. The other things based
off it which are also in the dist - much less so...

My initial approach was to provide an application class role, but I
think I may prefer your approach of putting all of the logic into
it's own class, which you then pass the application class to permute.

Would you be interested in collaborating on this? Initially I think
I'd fork your code and compose my pre-existing role onto it to see
how far that gets us / how much of the ugly code you inherited from
AutoCRUD goes away.

Sound reasonable?

Cheers
t0m