[Catalyst] Database-backed sessions: Session::Store::DBI/DBIC and MSSQL

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Thu Jun 18 08:01:15 GMT 2009

On 17 Jun 2009, at 21:34, Stuart Watt wrote:

> Since Session::Store::DBI can be set to use its own connection, I
> thought that might resolve it. Not completely, unfortunately, and
> now the error is due to the recommended use of a text column for
> the data. It seems the DBI+DBD::ODBC likes to require LongTruncLen
> set to a rather larger value than is the default (apparently the
> default can even be zero!), so you get truncation errors when
> reading any session data.

Any session data at all? Can you be more specific - I'd guess that
this should only hit you if the length is small, or if your sessions
get large.

Also, is there a different data type you can use without this
behavior? (One that at least fails rather than silently truncating
stuff would be good, for a start)..

> The way the statements are set up (in a batch) makes it hard to set
> this for one statement independently, and supposedly it needs to be
> set before a statement is prepared.

Why not just arrange for it to be set by all queries done by the
session handling? If you already have a dedicated DB connection for
session data, why not use it? :)

Cheers
t0m