[Catalyst] How to use local::lib

Tobias Kremer tobias.kremer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 07:59:26 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Tomas Doran<bobtfish at bobtfish.net> wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2009, at 16:43, Tobias Kremer wrote:
>> Am I missing something here or do I really have to checkout my app on
>> a fresh installation with no prerequisites installed and try the above
>> there?
> Yeah, pretty much at the moment. If you install all your prerequisites in a
> local::lib, then if you blank PERL5LIB, then it _just works_.
>> Also, am I right that this method won't work for XS-based modules if
>> I'm building my local_lib, say on a Ubuntu system, while the
>> production system is Debian-based?
> Correct. You'll have to build your local::lib on a system with similar
> architecture to your production boxen.

These things make the local::lib approach a bit more unappealing for
us. For one thing, it appears to be still quite a bit rough around the
edges and I doubt that there's anything I personally could do about it
because my knowledge there is limited. Secondly, we really would like
to have a central repository for our development AND production
systems. What proven alternatives are there if you have developers
working on OS X, Ubuntu etc. and deploy on a different (Debian)
system?

What about CPAN::Mini? At first, it sounds strange to have a whole
copy of the CPAN around (although it's not that big), but then again
it sounds really cool to just "make installdeps" and have everything
installed in the correct version in a cross-platform compatible way.

By the way: Would it theoretically be possible to install specific
versions of a CPAN distribution? Is there possibly already work
underway to achieve this? I think that this would really solve a lot
of deployment trouble ...

So, how are you doing your deployment? :) I believe this is an area
where there's still a lot of homebrew stuff going on and it would be
nice to have one (or 2-3) ways to do it! I'd be willing to write
something up for the wiki if there's enough input.

Thanks a lot!

--Tobias