[Catalyst] How much RAM do your Catalyst apps use up?

toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Wed Jun 24 09:01:44 GMT 2009

----- kakimoto at tpg.com.au wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>
>   I have a virtual machine with 256MB of ram. When I run my catalyst
> app
> (ie myapp_server.pl) in the day, it's fine. NEvertheless, when I run
> my
> app from 6pm onwards til midnight, a few clicks on the app to
> retrieve
> some data (the same way I use it in the mornings), and the whole
> machine
> hangs up on me.

I have a few Ubuntu Server virtual machines with 256 MB of ram allocated, which use Postgres 8.3 and Catalyst (under apache w/mod_perl), and they run fine for single-user usage of the application. (They're for testing.. I also have some catalyst+postgres apps running on live sites, but I've never tried those on so little ram!)

I'm surprised the entire machine locks up -- have you tried diagnosing what is going on when that happens?
(eg. checking log files)
Is it defnitely an OOM problem, or something else manifesting?

-Toby