[Catalyst] User timezones

Christian Lackas christian at lackas.net
Thu Jun 25 07:34:34 GMT 2009

* Devin Austin <devin.austin at gmail.com> [090625 08:25]:

Hi Devin,

> > I wonder how you handle user-specific timezones in Catalyst.
> > Is there any magic switch I could set (for instance if the user is
> > authorized or the session restored) to automatically get the right time
> > for the user?
> I would store it in whatever user profile set up you have for each user.
> you could simply create a column and add the GMT offset.

thanks for your quick reply, and every user entry in the database
already has a timezone field.
The low level mechanics are not so much of a problem. However, I don't
want to do this everywhere I access a date column from the database
(basically every table has a creation timestamp, many also for deletion
or last change).
What I am looking for, is a transparent way to set a timezone for the
rest of the request (for instance when the session is restored and thus
Catalyst knows which user it is dealing with) and then inflate/deflate
should automatically convert timezones from/to UTC automatically.
My hope was that somebody has already solved this problem or has an idea
on how to approach it efficiently.

Christian

--
http://www.invicro.com/