[Catalyst] Warnings when upgrading Catalyst

Ovid publiustemp-catalyst at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 25 09:57:18 GMT 2009

Gah! I should really consider just giving up on Yahoo! Mail.  Replying to HTML email is *painful* :(  I hereby swallow the meme kool-aid and dub them Yahoo! FAIL.

--- On Wed, 24/6/09, Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net> wrote:

> From: Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net>
>
> Also, you're in debug mode.. Do you get the
> warnings when debug mode is disabled?

Cool!  When I disable debug mode, the warnings go away.  Never thought to look at that.  This makes me feel much more confident that we don't have a bug in our code.  Still, we run tests in debug mode and we don't want our test suite spewing warnings lest we start ignoring them.

>   return if ( ( $code->name =~ /^_.*/ )
>     && (!$c->config->{show_internal_actions} ));
>
> So I guess you
> have $c->config->{show_internal_actions} turned
> on then?

No, that evaluates to undef.  However, that doesn't apply because when the error occurs, $code->name is 'default', thus avoiding the second condition.  I think the confusion stems from how the above code is written.  This is clearer, I think:

 return if (
   $code->name =~ /^_/
   and
   not $c->config->{show_internal_actions}
 );

> The
> $code->name when we get the warning is 'default',
> so I'm assuming it's not considered a private
> action.
> When we get to the actual section of code which
> issues the warning (line 1561 in the cpan
> distribution)
> I'm now wildly stabbing in the dark, but can you
> try:
> http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/Catalyst-Runtime/5.80/branches/index_default_fuckage/
> which _may_ fix your issue, as the sub
> you're dealing with is called 'default' and that
> has some fixes for that... This is merely a guess, I
> don't pretend to really understand what's going on
> for you, or why you're getting this.

I tried to grab that, but our socks proxy won't allow this.  If anyone is kind enough to send me a tarball, I'll happily give it a try and report what I find :)

And no worries about stabs in the dark.  I really appreciate the fact that you're taking the time to consider this.

Cheers,
Ovid
--
Buy the book         - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/