[Catalyst] Google Summer of Code: mentors, projects

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Tue Mar 3 10:00:23 GMT 2009

On 3 Mar 2009, at 07:06, Kieren Diment wrote:

> I'm still keen on the idea of an easy Perl/Catalyst installer.
> Something that might encompass local::lib, PAR and deployable on
> the three or four main OSs  windows (strawberry perl), OS X (10.4
> and 10.5, using the system provided perl) and linux (maybe debian
> and red hat based distros - again using the system perl).  Also
> needs to work in an environment with no root/Administrator
> access.   And a nice "double click" installer at the end would be
> good.  I've rigged up an appalling hack to do this in windows that
> needs finessed, but I haven't looked at the other OSs.

I'm fairly anti PAR for this, as it just doesn't (and can't) work for
many cases, as you don't know the full set of dependencies for your
app until you run all of your app.

That said, I'm also extremely pro having this, or at least having
local:;lib support built into Catalyst-Devel, so that managing a per-
app local::lib comes with the few bits and pieces you need 'out of
the box'.

I've mentioned this before on-list recently, but something like the
rails 'freeze' feature, but for capturing _all_ dependencies which
are not core, not just the framework (which is why the rails feature
is _rubbish_)

> Mentoring?  Well, what I can offer is to point a student in the
> right direction of who to talk to, not much else.  I'm also very
> tolerant of stupidity being a somewhat mentally challenged
> programmer myself.

Also more than happy to help out, but I'm in no way a toolchain guru
either.

Cheers
t0m