[Catalyst] OT: edit/add seperate actions?

Iain iainhubbard at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 3 15:33:51 GMT 2009

Hello all,

So we are having a discussion @work about basic add/edit functions. We
currently have currently two lines of thoughts on handling it.

1. Have separate actions for adding and editing e.g.

# add
/app/notice/add_new (POST To) /app/notice/process_add_new

# edit
/app/notice/*/edit (POST To) /app/notice/*/process_edit

2. Have a shared edit action with an if ( $c->req->method eq 'POST' )
check.

# edit
/app/notice/*/edit (POST Back to) /app/notice/*/edit

There currently doesn't look like much difference in lines of code to
manage.

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts/experience, pros/cons best
practice etc of either approach.

Actually, I like option 2 best. So I suppose I'm asking for reasons why
we shouldn't use option 1 :-)

Iain.