[Catalyst] Google Summer of Code: mentors, projects

Lee Aylward lee at laylward.com
Tue Mar 3 16:41:06 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 06:06:10PM +1100, Kieren Diment wrote:
> I'm still keen on the idea of an easy Perl/Catalyst installer.
> Something that might encompass local::lib, PAR and deployable on the
> three or four main OSs  windows (strawberry perl), OS X (10.4 and 10.5,
> using the system provided perl) and linux (maybe debian and red hat based
> distros - again using the system perl).  Also needs to work in an
> environment with no root/Administrator  access.   And a nice "double
> click" installer at the end would be good.  I've rigged up an appalling
> hack to do this in windows that needs finessed, but I haven't looked at
> the other OSs.
>
> Mentoring?  Well, what I can offer is to point a student in the right
> direction of who to talk to, not much else.  I'm also very tolerant of
> stupidity being a somewhat mentally challenged programmer myself.

I think keeping each installer platform specific would be best. People
on OS X expect a .dmg with a .pkg inside for things like frameworks.
Windows users expect a .exe/msi installer. And if these installers install
Catalyst to the system perl (or strawberry perl in Windows' case),
even better, because then they can use CPAN to upgrade Catalyst later
on.

What would be really cool is if the Windows installer checked for the
existence of Strawberry Perl, and offered to install it if it can not be
found.

I don't see a need for anything like this on Linux, though. Don't most
dists have their own Catalyst packages? I know Debian's have served me
fairly well for the past few years.

I don't have any experience with the Windows platform, but I would
consider helping out with an OS X package.

--
Lee Aylward