[Catalyst] Catalyst - any good AJAX tutes?

Stuart Watt swatt at infobal.com
Fri Mar 6 14:57:18 GMT 2009

I've had some very good results with Dojo and Catalyst for AJAX. A =

couple of components in our app show this exceptionally - a table of =

contents based on a folding tree, and a grid backed by an SQL query, =

using to display filtered search results in different sort orders, etc. =

The grid will automatically request rows as it needs to, through a =

JSON-writing TT file, based on the built-in Dojo QueryReadStore - most =

of Dojo can use data stores that are backed in this way, and these can =

draw from most any request. Sorting was also more or less built-in.

The folding tree was harder, as we were stuck with a legacy XML format =

from the old Microsoft MSDN site. This was implemented by a view that =

generated JSON from the legacy XML. Both worked well for us, and allowed =

us to develop rich front-end behaviour while hiding all the awful parts =

that we wanted to abstract away from.

Dojo is weak in documentation compared to some, but rapidly improving. =

However, the main documentation site is pretty full of examples. Neither =

of these parts of the system ended up taking more than a couple of days =

to develop. If you stick close to the out of box functionality, all is =

fairly easy - if you want to develop your own widgets or data stores, it =

can get harder. Certainly, Catalyst made developing AJAX functionality =

in Dojo simpler and quicker than I had expected.

All the best
Stuart

Neo [GC] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> depends on the javascript-lib you are using for AJAX. Catalyst just =

> builds a template, which is interpreted clientside by the AJAX-lib. =

> This might be XML, JSON, plain HTML or $something. For the webserver / =

> Catalyst, the requests look like any other normal HTTP-request.
>

> Greets,
> Thomas Weber
>

> kakimoto at tpg.com.au schrieb:
>> hello there,
>>
>>  I would like to use AJAX in my catalyst app. Any good references/tutes
>> to recommend?
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> K. akimoto

>> Searchable archive: =

>> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/
>> Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/
>>   =

> Searchable archive: =

> -- =

> Click here to report this message as spam. =

> http://antispam.infobal.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=3D8026A27FE8.9BC7B

-- =

Stuart Watt
ARM Product Developer