[Catalyst] Thoughts On GeoIP Modules?

David Morel dmorel69 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 17:54:38 GMT 2009

Le 10 mars 09 à 15:08, Andy Dorman a écrit :

> We have several signup web sites using Catalyst.  Recently we have
> realized we are going to have to limit signups by geographical region
> to help limit abuse. Captchas (we use and love reCaptcha) and other
> heuristics just do not seem to be sufficient.
>
> Does anyone on the list have any experience with open source options
> in the way of GeoIP modules?  We are looking at MaxMind GeoIP
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/geoip/) at the moment.

I deployed it on a lot of servers and am extremely happy with it. A
full drop-in replacement for IP::Country::Fast IIRC, with monthly
updates ready to roll. you can even pinpoint the city, with good
accuracy according to my limited testing. Loads on the servers is
negligible. IIRC, we use it with mod_perl and are happier with the
GEOIP_MEMORY_CACHE option. Since we restart the app more often than we
update the db, we don't need GEOIP_CHECK_CACHE.
I'd give it an A :)

D.Morel