[Catalyst] Thoughts On GeoIP Modules?

Edmund von der Burg edmund.vonderburg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:27:21 GMT 2009

This is getting quite OT now but hey ho...

2009/3/12 Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:
> Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>>
>> This would also ban the good users, but those who want to continue abusing
>> would be able to use an anonymous proxy from another country.
>>

> True. That is a very good point.  And some of the abusers apparently did
> just that through a couple of small Rackspace blocks of IPs in Europe.

Would it be possible to detect 'bad' activity early on and suspend the
account, or mark it for review. Being from the wrong country could
contribute to this bad activity.

> The only rationale I can offer at this time is that we have seen no good
> sign ups from these two countries.  And between the ones that signed up,
> they managed to get us blocked by Hotmail, AOL and Yahoo mail within a few
> hours.

For example sending 300% more than the expected email in the first
month of an account being created could suspend the account.

I'm sure that there are lots of little triggers that a real user would
not hit and an abuser would hit straight away.

Cheers,
  Edmund.

--
evdb at ecclestoad.co.uk - http://ecclestoad.co.uk