[Catalyst] Unknown error in Catalyst/Utils.pm line 272

Ben Vinnerd ben-catalyst at vinnerd.com
Sat Mar 28 22:29:27 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I keep getting the following error when there's a problem with my code:

*Unknown error\nCompilation failed in require at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/Catalyst/Utils.pm line 272.*

I get this error in error_log when trying to start Apache with buggy
code... not very helpful when trying to debug!

As an example, the following code (in my Root.pm):

sub test :Local
{
    my ($self, $c) = @_;
    my $this = 'hello world';
    $c->res->body($that);
}

...gives me the error. I'd expect the error message to be:Global symbol
"$that" requires explicit package name

Is this a common gotcha?

Ben