[Catalyst] Jason Kohles' tutorial on ExtJs editable data gridsandCatalyst

Octavian Râsnita orasnita at gmail.com
Sun May 3 06:33:36 GMT 2009

From: jagdish eashwar =

  > the model. Disregarding the instruction not to modify anything above th=
e md5sum line, I changed the relationship name in People.pm from =

  > 'affiliation_id' to 'affiliation'.  I could then access the affiliation=
_id column in the People table without having to mention the relationship n=
ame. =

  > Nice. But what is the recommended way for getting around the problem of=
 the catalyst helper using the column name for the relationship =

  > name ? To what extent can one safely disregard the 'don't modify' instr=
uction?

  You can disregard it entirely and make any change above that line, but yo=
u won't be able to re-create the class files using the helper anymore, beca=
use if the helper would re-create the modified (above that line) classes, i=
t would delete all the changes that you made above that line, and your app =
might not work well because of this.

  It could be helpful though if the helper would accept a parameter that te=
ll it to change all the classes that were not modified above that line, and=
 create separate classes with a .new extension for those classes that were =
changed. It would be more flexible then, because we can still use it after =
we change some classes above the checksum.

  Until then... I've seen that the recommendation was to use the helper onl=
y until you need to make changes above that line, and after that point, use=
 the classes as a base, and deploy them for changing the database.
  (I don't know if this solution would work with any database type though..=
.)

  Anyway, does anyone have an example about how to do that deployment as ea=
sy as possible?

  Octavian