[Catalyst] Slow fastcgi: A debugging aid

Octavian Râsnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:43:08 GMT 2009

From: "Ian Wells" <ijw at cack.org.uk>
>> I tried it, but it gave the following error which I don't understand:
>>
>> 2009-05-04 20:04:04: (plugin.c.165) dlopen() failed for:
>> /usr/lib64/lighttpd/mod_fastcgi.so /usr/lib64/lighttpd/mod_fastcgi.so:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> 2009-05-04 20:04:04: (server.c.621) loading plugins finally failed
>
> You're missing the fastcgi plugin for lighttpd.  How did you install
> lighttpd and what OS are you using?

I use Fedora and I installed lighttpd with yum install ...

Anyway, there are many things to say, but the result is that I went back to
perl 5.8.8 and mod_perl.

My development and test server is under Windows and the production server
under Linux, so because perl is not a really fully portable language, I also
need to do tests under the production server, which is not very nice.
So going back to mod_perl was the easiest solution.

When I used fastcgi, I've seen that the system started to swap, to fill
almost the entire swap, and this is a sign that it might have big memory
leaks. This is not a big issue with mod_perl but it is with fastcgi, and
using other servers don't help very much.

It would be nice to be able to limit the number of requests per fastcgi
child process...

Octavian