[Catalyst] Tests fail installing Catalyst::Controller::FormBuilder

Louis Erickson lerickson at rdwarf.net
Tue May 5 22:08:51 GMT 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Peter Karman wrote:

> downgrade to Catalyst::Runtime 5.7 to start with. those errors look like 5.8
> incompat issues.

Yes, they do.  I have the complete set of modules running on 5.8 on
another machine.  There's two main differences that I can think of.

1> It was an upgrade from 5.7.  Some dependency is installed that wasn't on
the new machine that isn't properly included in the dependency list.

2> My working 5.8 machine is on Linux.  I have to wonder what Apple has
done to Perl.

> after you've done that, give some thought to whether you want to stick with
> C::C::FormBuilder. I see that the latest release is nearly 2 years old, and
> there are several RT tickets opened against it since then, which indicates a
> lack of ongoing maintenance.

I noticed that.  Mr. Rockway's book used FormBuilder, and it seemed to
work fine.  Since it had been working, I assumed there simply wasn't a lot
of updates because they weren't needed.

I did see the Catalyst Wiki suggesting FormFu instead, but only
found that after I had already used FormBuilder.

At the moment, I can't look that up because the Catalyst Wiki appears to
be down, while my book is still working.  Outdated and filled with things
that will lead a newcomer down the wrong path, but readable.  What a
terrible trade-off.

--
Louis Erickson - lerickson at rdwarf.net - http://www.rdwarf.com/~wwonko/

No problem is so formidable that you can't just walk away from it.