[Catalyst] My experience porting to CataMoose

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:08:03 GMT 2009

2009/5/12 Daisuke Maki <daisuke at endeworks.jp>

> Hi,
>
> I've switched an application of mine to CataMoose. Thanks for the hard
> work, it's seems surprisingly stable for such a massive overhaul.
>
> I've observed a few glitches / gotchas, they seem like things that
> probably should be documented, but I'd like to share with the list
> before writing them up:
>
> 1. MyApp->config->{home} and Catalyst::Upgrading
>
> Catalyst::Upgrading suggests that the following is possible:
>
>  package MyApp;
>  use Moose;
>
>  extends 'Catalyst';
>
>  __PACKAGE__->setup( ... );
>
> This is fine, but things gets a bit hairy when you mix this with calls
> MyApp->config->{home} BEFORE setup(), for example:
>
>  package MyApp;
>  use Moose;
>
>  extends 'Catalyst';
>
>  __PACKAGE__->config(
>         INCLUDE_PATH =3D> __PACKAGE__->path_to('whatever')
>     }
>  );

[snip]

My opinion on this is that this configuration style is inferior to using
'__path_to(whatever)__', which is handled via ConfigLoader.  The main reason
is that I often times find myself cutting out and copying configuration into
(conf|yml) files.

Not that this is an excuse for the issue you have, but I just wanted to
offer my (hopefully helpful) two cents.

Thanks for the time you've spent, as well as blogging about it.

-J