[Catalyst] 15s latency with fastcgi+Apache2+catalyst 5.8

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue May 19 16:49:32 GMT 2009

I'm in the process of upgrading our app to Catalyst 5.8 and Apache 2
on a stock Debian box. The webpages are taking pretty much exactly 15s
to load. I tried stripping out images and other media and even with it
down to the HTML & favicon.ico it's 15s - i.e. it's not blocking on a
particular item.

I have Apache and libapache2-mod-fastcgi and the server running in
standalone. It's been working fine in the old Apache 1.3 + Catalyst
5.7012 environment for years.

I've read various suggestions about DNS but presumably it isnt this
since it's using a fastcgi socket. Other sites served by Apache on
this machine aren't having latency issues.

Profiling ain't working,

paulm at rpix:~/idl/trunk$ . etc/env/dev.sh; PERL5OPT=-d:DProf
IDL-Web/script/idl_web_fastcgi.pl -l /tmp/idl_web_dev.socket -n 1 -p
/tmp/idl_web_dev.pid
panic: Devel::DProf inconsistent subroutine return at
/usr/share/perl5/Catalyst.pm line 1039.

NYTProf fails too,
$ nytprofhtml                                             Generating report...
Reading nytprof.out
inflate failed, error -5 ((null)) at end of input file - is it
truncated? at /usr/lib/perl5/Devel/NYTProf/Data.pm line 78.

Any other hints?

Thanks,
Paul

PS not sure if this is related,
IDL::Web is using the deprecated Catalyst::Base, update your
application as this will be removed in the next major release at
/usr/share/perl5/Catalyst/Base.pm line 7.

Catalyst::Base doesn't appear in our app anywhere(?!)