[Catalyst] 15s latency with fastcgi+Apache2+catalyst 5.8

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Wed May 20 22:13:47 GMT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Arjuna Del Toso <adeltoso at adamans.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 17:49:32 +0100
> Paul Makepeace <paulm at paulm.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm in the process of upgrading our app to Catalyst 5.8 and Apache 2
>> on a stock Debian box. The webpages are taking pretty much exactly 15s
>> to load. I tried stripping out images and other media and even with it
>> down to the HTML & favicon.ico it's 15s - i.e. it's not blocking on a
>> particular item.
>>
>> Any other hints?
>
> My 2 cents: have you tried to disable mod_deflate (if running)?

Yes, this is it. Thanks.
(http://www.debian-administration.org/users/simonw/weblog/294 has
details for anyone new to this.)

So obviously I don't want to sacrifice compression especially with our
XML serving. Seems like fastcgi is hosed with this and fcgid couples
the server to Apache too much (for me). I read Aristotle recommending
::Engine::HTTP::Prefork + mod_proxy. What are the ways forward here?
If I can keep fastcgi that'd be nice for reducing my upgrade workload.

Paul

PS GAAHHH!!