[Catalyst] Mason + DBI + Catalyst?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Mon May 25 22:35:45 GMT 2009

Hello,

I'm starting to learn about Catalyst. I'm looking for a MVC framework
for Perl. My first concern is that for views, Catalyst seems to be
really geared toward TemplateToolkit and I don't really like TT. I think
I like Mason (no real experience though). I know that Catalyst can work
with Mason, but all the documentation talks about TT. And if a feature
is not documented, as far as the user is concerned, it might as well not
exist.

Is there any good documentation for Catalyst that is based on Mason?

I have a similar (but lesser) concern about the database module.
Catalyst documentation seems to focus on DBIx::Class, but looking at
DBIx I get the feeling that it just tries to hide SQL. This seems like a
pointless exercise, since SQL is easy enough (and the Perl replacement
is not easier). But more importantly, I worry about losing control. In
my application I need to do moderately complex queries, like joining
three tables, or using a temporary tables. Once again, I know that
Catalyst is capable of using DBI, but if this is not well documented, it
makes it that much harder for me to use Catalyst. And so far, the
documentation seems to only talk about DBIx::Class.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Daniel.