[Catalyst] Looking for a working example using DBIC and Authentication

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Thu May 28 13:08:58 GMT 2009

Simon Baird wrote:
> [1] Well perhaps some details in brief note form...
> - The Authentication section of the Tutorial in CPAN uses some
> deprecated stuff (I find out eventually)
> - I got Auth working with DBIC as per the docs (with users, roles,
> user_roles tables) but without a realm. So I can use (the deprecated)
> $c->login but $c->authenticate doesn't work...
> - After decided I would give up and just keep using the $c->login I
> tried adding another table to my DBIC Schema. This caused Auth to stop
> working...

Hi.

The tutorial on CPAN hasn't used anything deprecated for a _long time_
as far as I can see.

It was recently (09th May) switched to use the newer
Catalyst::Authentication::Realm::SimpleDB, as this is easier to setup
for beginners, but previous to that it still used the 'new'
authentication setup.

Going back to Catalyst-Manual-5.701004 (released 09th April 2008 i.e.
over a year ago), the Authentication section of the tutorial is using
the 'new' authentication method.

Could you possibly review the latest version of the authentication
section in the tutorial, and send us some feedback about where it should
go into more detail, and what you think is confusing or missing? (Or, if
you think I'm full of lies, and it recommends deprecated things, please
point out where so I can LART myself).

I appreciate that you seem to be quite frustrated with your experience,
but I'd really like to (a) get you happy so that your app works as
expected with the recommended authentication stuff, (b) get this sorted
out so that nobody else goes down this path in future.

Thanks in advance.
t0m