[Catalyst] Looking for a working example using DBIC and Authentication

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:41:53 GMT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net> wrote:

> On 29 May 2009, at 01:49, hkclark at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> For example, a search for "Catalyst Tutorial" on search.cpan.org shows
>> a bunch of the 5.7014 stuff near the top... and that's over 7 months
>> (and 9 releases) old.  Is there a way to "kill off" older releases
>> like that (or at least push them down in the search results)?
>
> The only way to do this is to delete the dist in question.
>
> I asked rjbs to do so, and it's now scheduled for deletion. It'll be deleted
> in 48 hours, and search.cpan should catch up at whatever it's usual pace is,
> later ;)
>
> Cheers
> t0m

Great.  Thank you very much.  That should at least remove some
possible confusion for folks new to Catalyst who wonder why they are
seeing "multiple copies of almost the same thing" in the
search.cpan.org results.

Does anyone know how the CPAN search algorithm works in terms of what
it ranks first (or how we might be able to find out)?

I look at it this way: if search.cpan.org and Google send people off
in the wrong direction and/or frustrate them, then we have probably
lost our only chance to "make a good first impression."  It's a pain
that we have to do extra work to make those external things "show
Catalyst in the right way"... but at the end of the day, if it "makes
us look bad" then it's just that... we look bad.  I totally agree with
MST's point that we should do things to promote "modern Perl",
Catalyst, DBIC, Moose, etc. through things like blogging.  Making it
ease for people to get their hands on good information when they are
new is just another way to accomplish that goal... IMHO. :-)

Regards,
Kennedy